[ardour-users] Plugin automation

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Sat Jun 17 02:42:39 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 14:38 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
> >
> > You could maybe work around it by feeding the channel's effects send to
> > an intermediate bus, putting the actual effects send in that bus
> > post-fader, and control the send level by automating that bus's fader.
> >
> > Granted, this would be very cumbersome, needing an extra bus for every
> > channel you want to automate. I probably wouldn't make the effort :)
> >

> I have been unable to add a bus for almost 2 years. I thought this
> feature was just not being worked on.

I've never heard of such a problem. What kind of bus are you adding? How
many channels? What version of ardour, what version of jack?

Also: can you get us a backtrace? Compile ardour with "scons DEBUG=1"
and run ardour in gdb (via the ardbg script in gtk_ardour/)

Are you adding the bus while the transport is playing, or stopped? Does
it make a difference?

> Everytime I add a bus ardour crashes hard. I have tried from every
> possible method in the menus/GUI.
>
> It seemed like such an obvious bug that I haven't even bothered writing
> about it.

It's possible that you're the only one who has had this issue. I've been
mixing with buses as long as I've used ardour. Never had any issues like
that.

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>