[ardour-users] [OT] Good newbie books on audio engineering.

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Jun 14 12:02:39 PDT 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 14 June 2006 at 20:38, "Alex Polite" <notmyprivateemail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just spent two days figuring out how to do sidechannel
>> ducking with ardour, qjackctl, ams and ladspa plugins. Only to
>> realise that I didn't want ducking after all. A simple expander
>> did a much better job at doing what I wanted.
>>
>> Maybe I could have saved some time if I've read an introductory
>> book on audio engineering. Any good tips? I have a weak math
>> background, so not to many formulas please.
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to learn here. Soundcraft has
> some good on-line (PDF) guides to things like mixing.  "Audio
> Reality" by Bruce Rozenblit is a pretty good book, and not too
> deep into hard core theory.  For hard core theory go for "Sound
> System Engineering" by Davis.

I can also recommend:

"Modern Recording Rechniques, Fifth Edition" by David Miles Huber

I know there is a newer edition, but I haven't read through it yet.

"Sound Reinforcement Handbook, Second Edition" by Gary Davis

This one is a little more math-heavy, but this is IMHO one of the best
books out there.

Hope this helps.

jms