[ardour-users] NRPNs

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Tue Jul 18 09:54:04 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 12:35 -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:14:12 +0200
>John Anderson <ardour at semiosix.com <mailto:ardour at semiosix.com>> wrote:
>> I Ctrl-middle-click to bind the control (a bus fader), which works Ok.
>> Or at least the "operate midi controller" dialog goes away when I move
>> the hardware fader. Then when I move the hardware fader, I get this
>> output (with Trace Input and Trace Output enabled)
>
>The BCF2000 isn't really usable with Ardour out-of-the-box.  The P2 (simple
>mixer) config was close but still didn't have all the functionality I
>wanted.  I ended up doing some re-programming, and now have the BCF
>working like a dream with Ardour.
>
>I have the re-programmed settings here:
>   http://zappa.brainiac.com/preset1.syx
>You can load it into the BCF using amidi as documented here:
>   http://ardour.org/manual/control_surfaces/bcf2000
>
>If you haven't seen it, that page documents everything I did to get the
>BCF running wonderfully with Ardour.

I read your page in the ardour manual thoroughly when I first bought my
bcf - thanks a lot, it was a great help to make it all work ;-)

Now I'm playing with setting up several banks of controllers (I have 2
so far) to handle >8 tracks in Ardour (So now I get 16 tracks, woohoo),
and trying out the various options - y'know "hmm, what's an NRPN, let me
see if it works? And this Abs-14, what's that for?"

That and the fact that if I assign 1 midi channel to each fader, I can
only get up to 16 tracks (I'm not very good at midi, so I might have
misunderstood something here). So then I was looking for ways of doing
 >16 tracks, with CCs and NRPNs and whatever else is available.

In the process of doing that, I've partially figured out the sysex
format (also thanks to bcx2000edit by Pieter Palmers) and I wrote some
perl to translate the syx to text so I can manipulate text instead of
the slow way with knobs and/or UI controls.

I've attached the text version of your preset1, if you're interested :-)

bye
John