[ardour-users] best file system for audio

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Jan 20 21:55:02 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 05:24:27PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 1/20/06, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:41:25 -0500
> > ross at jose.lug.udel.edu (Ross Vandegrift) wrote:
> >
> > > Fair enough - Amanda is a pretty hefty solution for most people
> > > backing up a workstation or two.  I can admit to not actually running
> > > it myself at home.
> > >
> > > But dump by itself is really easy.
> >
> > I'm a big fan of rsync, myself.  It replicates a disk structure by copying
> > only what's changed since the last time the rsync happened, very convenient
> > for backing up to other drives.
> >
> >  http://rsync.samba.org
> >

> Yeah, I think rsync is what's underneath Gentoo's portage system.

Well, it's the network transport part, yeah.

> could be wrong about that but stuff about rsync comes up at times on
> the gentoo-users list. rsync seems to work really well for keeping one
> location coherent with another.

Yes indeedy. I've been an rsync fan for years now.
Both for backups, and for random i-need-to-copy-this-data-elsewhere
purposes.  It's secure too, it runs over ssh.

But there's nothing magic about it for backup purposes. You
still have to tell it exactly which directories or files you want
to copy.  It's really just rcp on steroids.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com