[ardour-users] best file system for audio

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:24:27 PST 2006

On 1/20/06, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:41:25 -0500
> ross at jose.lug.udel.edu (Ross Vandegrift) wrote:
>
> > Fair enough - Amanda is a pretty hefty solution for most people
> > backing up a workstation or two.  I can admit to not actually running
> > it myself at home.
> >
> > But dump by itself is really easy.
>
> I'm a big fan of rsync, myself.  It replicates a disk structure by copying
> only what's changed since the last time the rsync happened, very convenient
> for backing up to other drives.
>
>  http://rsync.samba.org

Yeah, I think rsync is what's underneath Gentoo's portage system. I
could be wrong about that but stuff about rsync comes up at times on
the gentoo-users list. rsync seems to work really well for keeping one
location coherent with another.

I suppose my mild 'concern'  about rsync, and I know *nothing* about
rsync really, is that maybe I want to do a number of snapshot backups
of sessions along the way and be able to go back to any one of them
should I need to. In my limited usage model I'd really just like a
link from Ardour into something like k3b that wrote it to a $0.50
DVDRW disk that I can throw in the corner and forget until I run into
a real problem. It's hard to do all of that on anoterh hard drive in
another room across a wireless network with people using MythTV
sucking up all that bandwidth....

Again, just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers all and have a great weekend everyone,
Mark