[ardour-users] best file system for audio

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 09:21:43 PST 2006

On 1/20/06, Ross Vandegrift <ross at lug.udel.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 05:56:37AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > A great area for Ardour to look at in the future would be to do this for
> > us. I'd like to back all files in multiple session directories up to
> > DVD media. It would be very cool for this to be made error free.
>
> Don't reinvent the wheel!  Read dump(8) and amanda(8)!  They will take
> care of all your backup and restore needs.

Over the years I've read all the amanda stuff 5-10 times. I've never
managed to get comfortable with it. I'ma guitar player not an IT guy.
(Really. I mean it!)

That said, it still seems cool (to me) that if something like amanda
works so well, that some smart developer should figure out how to
integrate talking to it as a build time option in Ardour for those of
us that would need it. I fear that too many people do not do ANY
backups and will lose music should a drive go down.

Just my two cents....

- Mark