[ardour-users] software monitoring

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jan 20 04:53:29 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 07:15 -0500, Phil Frost wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 01:05:59AM -0800, Ruben Lopez wrote:
> > After googling for a few hours tonite, I found that my next question is
> > pretty common, but I was never able to find the answer, so I need to
> > ask: How do I monitor sound after I start recording? I have s/w
> > monitoring engaged in Ardour, but I lose sound as soon as I hit record.
> > What's the secret?
>
> This is one of my gripes with ardour, too. At the top of the window, in
> the transport bar, there is a button labeled "auto input". The status of
> rec-enable, global rec-enable, transport rolling or stopped, and that
> "auto input" button determine if a track is being monitored. For me,
> "auto input" off seems to do what I want more often. Really either way
> never does what I want all the time, so I wish monitoring was more
> configurable.

how do you think monitoring should behave?

auto-input is modelled on the features of several digital tape and HD
recording systems. it interacts with your choice of h/w or s/w
monitoring too, which makes it more complex. for any given class of
users, there is one particular combination that seems like "obviously
the right thing to do", but that combination varies depenending on
people's h/w setup (particularly signal routing).

--p