[ardour-users] best file system for audio

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Jan 19 15:33:40 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 12:38 -0500, Jason Russler wrote:
> I really doubt reiserfs is a good choice.  It may even be bad.  It's
> good at handling large numbers of small files efficiently but not very
> good larger file I/O - in fact, I recently saw some benchmarks that
> indicate that it's pretty bad at it.  ext3 should be fine for most
> situations - I use an xfs because it handles very large files quite
> well (I do some video stuff as well as audio) and it makes me feel
> cool - SGI nostalgia and all that....
> Reiserfs fanboys tend to say reiserfs it's good for everything. :O)

    I'm using reiserfs 3 on FC4 at the moment.  I've tested it against
ext2 and ext3 and it's better in terms of xruns.  I think this is due to
the fact that the journal is not in a separate location on the disk as
it is with ext3.  ext2 is better than ext3 but it's not journaled.  Be
that as it may, I am planning on switching to xfs soon since I have been
using it on *large* (17TB) servers at work and it is a vast improvement
on the ext3 and reiserfs servers that I have run before.  All of this is
very subjective though ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744