[ardour-users] ardour 2.0 testing

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 20:38:52 PST 2006

On 1/17/06, Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Mike Fisher wrote:
>
> > Ok, thank you.  so gdb is a seprate program then?  and I run it like
> > listed above
> > $gdb ardour  ----> is this for just debugging to or only for a
> > traceback?  Sorry, I really have no clue about this type of thing.
>
> Yes, gdb is GNU's debugger.  You can use it to do interactive debugging or
> to get traceback information.
>
> http://directory.fsf.org/devel/debug/gdb.html
>
> It's not tough to compile if it isn't on your system already, but
> depending on the OS distro you're using, there may be precompiled
> packages or pre-scripted ebuilds that make it pretty painless to install.
>
> jms

In my opinion, it's more useful to use gdb on a core file.  That way,
you don't have to recreate whatever caused the crash; all the useful
info is in the core file.

On some systems, you will need to run the command "ulimit -c
unlimited" to enable core dumps.  then just run the program you're
interested in as you would normally (except you have to launch it form
the command line of the same shell you ran the ulimit command in).  If
the app crashes, it leaves a core file (called either core or core.N,
where N was the process ID).  Now run gdb on the program you ran and
the core file: "gdb /usr/bin/ardour core" and type "bt" at the gdb
prompt.  There's your stack trace.  No need to remember what you did
to make it crash.