[ardour-users] auditioning groups of tracks at once & disk too slow

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jan 16 09:36:15 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 08:48 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> On 16 January 2006 at 10:19, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
> > 70 tracks is definitely close to or over the limit for most generic
> > modern h/w with ardour's current 32 bit float format files.
>
> I think "close to" would be about right, on my system anyway.  If I
> let ardour keep trying to play the song, then it eventually quits
> throwing up those "disk too slow" messages and the song plays fine.
>
> It looks like I'll have to be a bit more judicious about which drum
> takes I keep, and do that up front in the project, rather than
> keeping lots of takes and then comparing them.
>
> What do other people do with ardour, or other systems do to allow for
> multiple takes to stick around?  For me, being able to [de]activate
> mix-groups of tracks, whereas now I'm [un]muting mix-groups of tracks,
> would be a good solution.

this is what playlists are all about.

just keep your N drum tracks (where N is typically the number of mics
you are using on the drums). switch playlists on each one for each new
take. use the "p" playlist button in the track controls.

and yes, in ardour2 you will (soon) be able do this across an edit group
in one step, rather than N steps.