[ardour-users] Recommended distros

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jan 11 12:40:52 PST 2006

Hallo,
Ruben Lopez hat gesagt: // Ruben Lopez wrote:

> I'm a Windows tech, but I still consider myself "newbie-ish" when it
> come to Linux. I have the most experience with Debian - I like it and I
> have done several customized installs and built new kernels a couple of
> times. During the last few months I have been running Slackware, which I
> am liking  more and more. What I like about both of these is that I can
> install them as a very basic systems (<500MB) and add just what I
> need/want, so I don't end up with a bloated system (like you would if
> you did a default Slackware install). And I like using apt/synaptic and
> swaret. But I don't know how these distros perform regarding
> latency/real time issues/other audio-related issues.

They perform the same, as they use the same software or can be made
to do so very easily.

Choosing a distribution is mostly a matter of taste. Every plain
Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu/Slackware/Suse/Gentoo-system will undergo serious
customization anyways.

There really is no difference performance wise between distributions,
but there are differences in handling package dependencies,
configurations, in the amount of software, that is available inside
the distribution or from third-party repositories or that you need to
install yourself.

Don't look for the best performing distribution, they all run a Linux
kernel. Try to find one, whose package tools you like, whose amount of
pre-configuration suits you - some like more defaults, others prefer
to set up their own stuff. These things are much more important in the
long run than having 2.6.15 in the distro now or getting it a bit
later.

Reading your comments, I'd guess you're a Debian guy, because you
don't fear tinkering with your system, but also enjoy the comfort of
apt-get. I didn't use Slackware in years (but started there). Gentoo
also would be a possible choice, if you like to look at gcc's output
for longer periods or time.

Ciao