[ardour-users] regions, layers and auditioning groups of tracks at once

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Jan 11 10:27:23 PST 2006

On 11 January 2006 at 13:19, Wolfgang Woehl <tito at rumford.de> wrote:

> Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com>:
> > I'm trying to be more efficient with ardour.  Here's what I've
> > got:  3 takes each comprised of 8 instruments (a drumkit).  I'd
>
> That's 8 tracks each, right?

Yes.

> > Is there some way to assign a mix of one take to a bus or
> > something, and then [un]mute the bus when I want to play with
> > auditioning?
>
> Mixgroups. I'd put the relevant takes on extra tracks, set
> up mixgroups like "take 1", "take 2" etc, assign and then
> exclusive-solo the mixgroups with ctrl-alt-click. This gives
> you ABC with one click.

Mixgroups, hmmm.  I didn't know about locking the sliders, nor
ctrl-alt-click until your mentioning them.  I just reread the
mixer section of the manual and checked mixgroups make more sense
now that I have a use for it.  I'll try this tonight.  Thanks for
the tip.

> Or playlists. *If* playlists were groupable. The way they work
> now you'd be up for a clickfest. Feature-request I guess.

I think I'm gonna hold off on making too many feature requests
until I understand how to use ardour a bit better.  Another
feature I thought about last night was how to move the top layer
to the bottom layer.  It'd be really cool if there was a keyboard
shortcut for "move all selected layers (regardless of which
tracks they're on) to the bottom layer".  Or, even if it only
worked on one layer at a time, that would be another way to speed
up what I'm doing.  But, there's so much I don't know about best
practices with ardour, that it's hard to suggest another way of
doing things.

Thanks again...

--
Kevin