[ardour-users] grouping regions across tracks?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Mon Jan 9 21:07:49 PST 2006

On 9 January 2006 at 23:36, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> > The issue with snapshots causing forks with regards to awareness
> > of recorded material, that's why I really was after scenes.  But,
> > the way things are is fine too.
>
> we have discussed restricted versions of snapshots that would be more
> like what i think you are thinking of. but the inter-dependence of many
> aspects of a session's state that i mentioned earlier make this just as
> difficult.
>
> as a trivial case, what happens if you add a track at some point, then
> reload a scene from before the track was added. what happens to the I/O
> configuration of that new track? Worse: what happens if you deleted a
> bus?

All of that does sound hard from the design standpoint, with
implementation being a bit easier than the design.  In the case
of the save/recall setup paradigm in equipment manufactured
by the company I work for they have the luxury of having all
the system resources in place all the time.  So, one can't do
anything like adding a track or deleting a bus.  Do you know
how scenes are handled in gear and/or applications that have
that feature?  I imagine that some of the design constraints and
choices my be demonstrated by that.  Of course in the ardour
tradition of besting other apps, transparent items in a place
list for instance, it would probably be even harder.

I'd be happy to add this to the bug tracking system as an
enhancement request to get to some day, if ever.  I hope I don't
sound demanding or anything like that.  It's just a nice feature
that I would use if it existed, and maybe having it on a list of
things to think about from time to time wouldn't be too bad.  I'm
OK with dropping the idea too.

Cheerio....

--
Kevin