[ardour-users] Getting started

Phil Frost indigo at bitglue.com
Mon Jan 9 18:11:53 PST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 07:28:01PM -0600, Matt Carr wrote:
> I have on order a delta1010LT and should be expecting it soon so I have
> a few questions.
>
> How do I set it up as my default sound card and keep it that way every
> time I reboot?

My prefered method is to make it the only sound card on the system :)

If you are using it just for audio work, and thus probably only with
jack, you can just make it part of the default configuration in
qjackctl, or some shell script you run to start jackd directly.

Or, you can find the documentation for ~/.asoundrc on
<http://alsa-project.org>.

> I have heard of a low latency patch and real time patch.  Where can I
> find those if I need them and how hard are they to install?

Google something like "ingo realtime prempt patch" to find the patch,
and get the matching kernel from <http://kernel.org>. Patching and
building a kernel is covered in the kernel howto on <http://tldp.org>.

You don't strictly need the low latency patch with a really recent
kernel unless you want very low latencies, under 50 ms or so, I'm
guessing, since kernels > 2.14 or so include much of ingo's patch.

Unless you want to run everything as root, you will also want the
realtime-lsm module to give normal users the capability to obtain
realtime scheduling.