[ardour-users] scenes anyone?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Mon Jan 9 09:03:19 PST 2006

On 9 January 2006 at 11:39, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> > Is saving the snapshots with a different name in the first
> > place equivalent to renaming them at the filesystem level?
>
> depends. its closer to a copy in some sense. but
> basically, yes. saving a snapshot writes a file called
> "yoursnapshotname.ardour" to disk, where "yoursnapshotname" is
> whatever you selected (date by default).

Hmm, let me pursue this a bit further.  Let's say I have an
ardour project named 'song'.  I open that project with ardour
and save a few snapshots, keeping the default dates for names.
Eventually, I save a snapshot called 'rec_setup'.  Later when
I start ardour I open the rec_setup .ardour file in the 'song'
project.  I believe that 'song' and 'rec_setup' coexist just
fine, since all of the .ardour files are in the same directory,
and each of the snapshots refer to the same set of song files,
automation files, etc.  Is my understanding about right?  Sorry
if I'm being dense.  If I am understanding right, then I'll use
snapshots like 'rec_setup' for my scenes with reckless abandon,
and likely be quite happy with the results.

> > If I'm done with a snapshot, then do I just remove the
> > .ardour and .ardour.bak files for it?  I haven't found a way
> > to do this in ardour yet, but I haven't looked either.
>
> you can't do it from within ardour, sort of by design. but
> you can certainly do this from the filesystem level. note
> that snapshots are *tiny* compared the the audio data they
> represent. unless they are making your life difficult, there's
> not much reason to remove them other than ...

My only reason for wanting to remove snapshots is that I have
so many at times that the "recent" snapshots submenu gets too
cluttered for my tastes.

Thanks....

--
Kevin