[ardour-users] grouping regions across tracks?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 21:40:33 PST 2006

On 1/8/06, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> On 8 January 2006 at 21:36, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
>
> > I generally record takes all in one track. But if you have
> > them in separate tracks, you could later "comp" the parts
> > you like into a single track.  Simple matter of trimming
> > the region you like and moving it into the track you want.
> > Then crossfading is easy.
> > Make sense?
>
> The one track mental model makes trimming and moving much easier.
> But recording all of my drum mics into one track defeats the
> purpose of multi-tracking the drums doesn't it?  Maybe I don't
> really understand what you're getting at, or visa-versa?

I don't beleive that Paul means use 8 mics but record in mono.

> I *do* record all snare takes in the snare track, and all cymbal
> takes in the cymbal track, etc.  But, there is bleed between
> mics, so a little hi-hat gets into my kick, and a little tom-tom
> gets into my cymbals.  So take 1 of all 8 drum tracks must play
> together; likewise with take 2 of the same set of tracks.  I'm
> trying to figure out the best way of crossfading all 8 tracks at
> once from take 1 (of the kick, snare, etc.) to take 2, etc.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks....

OK, another method would be to actually slice each instrument track at
the points you like. Now you have 8 tracks with a bunch of regions in
them. Now create another set of 8 empty tracks and just drag the
regions you want to use to the new tracks. At this point you have all
the parts you want from all the different recording passes residing on
a final set of 8 tracks. Some regions come from one take, some come
from another.

To me the issue with a lot of this is that teach take will have a
slightly different tempo unless all takes were recorded against the
same click track/pre-recorded audio. I hope it all works.

Cheers,
Mark