[ardour-users] grouping regions across tracks?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Sun Jan 8 19:56:42 PST 2006

On 8 January 2006 at 21:36, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:

> I generally record takes all in one track. But if you have
> them in separate tracks, you could later "comp" the parts
> you like into a single track.  Simple matter of trimming
> the region you like and moving it into the track you want.
> Then crossfading is easy.
> Make sense?

The one track mental model makes trimming and moving much easier.
But recording all of my drum mics into one track defeats the
purpose of multi-tracking the drums doesn't it?  Maybe I don't
really understand what you're getting at, or visa-versa?

I *do* record all snare takes in the snare track, and all cymbal
takes in the cymbal track, etc.  But, there is bleed between
mics, so a little hi-hat gets into my kick, and a little tom-tom
gets into my cymbals.  So take 1 of all 8 drum tracks must play
together; likewise with take 2 of the same set of tracks.  I'm
trying to figure out the best way of crossfading all 8 tracks at
once from take 1 (of the kick, snare, etc.) to take 2, etc.

Any ideas?  Thanks....

FWIW, in the past, with tape, I never had the opportunity to
blend regions of various takes, or even to punch in.  Rather,
I just had to play the entire song from start to end without
messing up.  Back then the longest songs I would record would
be 5 minutes, and the hard ones would have 7/16 parts in a pop
music feel.  Now the shortest songs I'm recording are 5 minutes,
and one stays in 27/16 for 80% of that prog rock tune.  I can
nearly always nail it well enough for a live performance, but for
a recording it'd be nice to have it nearly perfect -- I've never
listened back to something I've recorded and found it 100% to my
liking.

--
Kevin