[ardour-users] grouping regions across tracks?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Sun Jan 8 19:43:30 PST 2006

On 8 January 2006 at 18:01, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

>    Maybe other more advanced users will have a more Ardour specific
> answer but I think I'd do this as a first pass using volume automation
> (or mute automation if it works) on each track. It does sound like a
> lot of work though, depending on how many mics you used to track the
> drums.

I'm running 8 tracks for drums, as that's my hardware limit at the
moment, even though they really deserve at least 11 tracks.

>    Once I had everything sounding the way I wanted it I would most
> likely bounce this group of drum tracks to a single set of drum tracks
> that I'd use later on for mixing.

What's the difference between a "group" and a "set" of drum tracks?

>    The problem raises some interesting software design ideas, such as
> a way for automation data to control multiple tracks at the same time,
> etc.

It is a good example of a situation when you couldn't (or shouldn't)
mix tracks from different recording passes due to the bleed between
mics.  At least there's potential to handle this better than when I
recorded to ADAT -- no punch-in or crossfade between takes there.

>    Good luck however you manage to do it.

Thanks....

--
Kevin