[ardour-users] grouping regions across tracks?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 18:01:50 PST 2006

On 1/8/06, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> I'm recording multiple drum takes.  Sometimes I like the 1st minute
> of one take better than the 1st minute in another take.  Maybe I like
> the 2nd minute of a different take better than the others.  If this
> were one track, then I could figure out from the wiki how to do
> crossfades between regions.  But, I'd really like to group regions
> across tracks and then crossfade between groups.  Is there a way to
> do that, other than one track at a time?
>
> Thanks....
>
> --
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,
   Maybe other more advanced users will have a more Ardour specific
answer but I think I'd do this as a first pass using volume automation
(or mute automation if it works) on each track. It does sound like a
lot of work though, depending on how many mics you used to track the
drums.

   Once I had everything sounding the way I wanted it I would most
likely bounce this group of drum tracks to a single set of drum tracks
that I'd use later on for mixing.

   The problem raises some interesting software design ideas, such as
a way for automation data to control multiple tracks at the same time,
etc.

   Good luck however you manage to do it.

Cheers,
Mark