[ardour-users] 16-24 track simultaneous recording - HW recommendations?

D R Holsbeck drh at niptron.com
Mon Jan 2 06:31:55 PST 2006

Hey something I actually know something about ;-)

I have about 10 shows under my belt, and I have realized a couple of
things.

1 Transformer type splitters are preferable, it saves a lot of time
chacing down humms. A passive splitter will work, but if you get stuck
on a different phase of the AC power, or dont have ground lifts, or add
too much load to the input cuircuit, etc you wont be happy with the
outcome. Also give yourself lots of cable length. You never know how far
away you will be.

2. You will need an adjustable preamp on each channel. With a splitter
you need to amplify each channel to a line level signal, which your i/o
will generally need. Or if you get a feed from the FOH or monitor
mixers, you will need to adjust your levels to compensate. We generally
use an Allen & Heath board, being thats the easiest way to get 24+
decent preamps. We even used our 42 channel board to get 36 channels
once. I also have used my Tascam DM24. Which works pretty well, and it
is easier to hook up. But I only have 16 channels that way. Though I
will be adding another 8 channel preamp/converter box to up the channel
count. Maybe in the future I will go with 8 cannel preamp/converter
boxes for everything, since they are finally becoming almost affordable,
and they are easier to rack up. Dont be cheap on this part of your
setup, you will regret it.

3. Get a good Audio interface for the computer end. Something that will
be rock solid. Being that you cant rewind and do another take. I have an
RME HDSP with the Digiface outboard box. I would strongly suggest you go
with a card that has all the inputs you need in a single unit. I tried
syncing 3 Delta 1010s to get the 24 channel count to where I wanted it,
never did work. Havent tried the RME Multiface units so that might be
different. I have been perfectly happy with the RME gear. I bought mine
at http://www.sfb.net/, they have really good prices, have a close
relationship with RME, and will support Linux users when possible. They
even gave me an exchange on my pcmcia card for troubleshooting purposes.

4. Get everything into road cases. This will save setup time and
aggravation. Try and keep your snakes simple and compact.

5. Get a second HD recorder for backup. We use a Mackie SDR. But you
could use a second Ardour system if you have the $. That way there is
less chance blowing a full nights worth of work. It is very unlikley
both systems would fail at the same time.

Well that should give you a little to chew on, and maybe Mr Parker could
add to this, as he has been there for most of the shows, and done a few
of his own.

Cheers
DuWayne