[ardour-users] Greetings and question re: downsampling

Mike Fisher mrfisher_1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 21:48:18 PST 2006

I don't know if this'll help much.  When possible what I do for down sampling is run the digital signal (48, 96, 192 kHz, or whatever else) out of the audio interface analog to a dat machine that is recording at 44.1 KHz which is taking input from the analog connecctions.  I know that this isn't possible for everybody, but it would also work with a rack mounted cd recorder.

  or just record at 88.2 KHz or 176.4.  one would think that number crunchin' would be easier for the cpu because 88.2 / 2 is 44.1 and 176.4 / 4 is 44.1

  -Mike

Maluvia <terakuma at imbris.net> wrote:
  >are you sure hardware downsampling will help you? When using softwafe
>downsampling with dither you
>have at least a lot of quality/speed/tradeoff options and different
>algorithms to choose.
>The whole is a difficult (and somewhat controversal) issue, beacuse it
>depends much on the DA
>converter you are listening to for the comparison. Many converters sound a
>bit different depending
>on the rate they are running at.
>If you target at CD playback, you should always burn the converted samples
>on a CD and check
>the sound quality on a "realy good" standalone CD player as well...
>Some purists state, that the best method for hardware downsampling is to
>playback the final mix
>on a "realy good" 192khz-converter and resample them with a "really good"
>44.1kHz-AD-converter
>
>If you reproducably hear a quality difference with your equipment, it may
>be possible that your
>only option is to choose between several forms of degradation ;-)
>
>Cheers,
>Hermann

Not sure of anything yet.
Your points regarding the complex of factors affectiing the final result are well-taken, and unfortunately there is no objective standard.
At this point, we just need to try both hardware downsampling and various forms of software downsampling, (and perhaps some combination of the two), and *LISTEN*.
One always hopes for an end product that will sound good on anything from boomboxes to audophile systems.
We'll post our results in case it is of interest to others.

-Maluvia