[ardour-users] Jack over LAN?

lawrence iviani superlaido at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 05:06:39 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:17:42PM +0100, Lars Tobias B?rsting wrote:
> "Alex Polite" <notmyprivateemail at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is it possible to have ardour connect to a jack server running on
> > another computer.
>
> This would require the jack server on your closet-computer to listen on
> a network socket, which it can't to my knowledge. In any case, you will
> not get very low latency audio support over Ethernet.
>
> > At home I have a fast headless server in a closet and use a somewhat
> > slow laptop as a terminal. It would be great if could run ardour on
> > the server but have it use the X server and the audio server on my
> > laptop.
If you use an ssh connection with X tunneling.... (e.g. ssh -X user at myserver)
X server is running on your laptop, but jack run on the server.
If i'm not wrong, you want only have a remote access to your server.
If you need acquisition too try http://netjack.sourceforge.net/
The latest version is here:
http://netjack.sourceforge.net/netjack-0.7.tar.bz2