[ardour-users] (no subject)

Dan Nawara dan at itsawisechild.com
Sun Feb 26 08:58:34 PST 2006

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but i'm not sure who else to
write.

I'm running ubuntu dapper on my HP dv8000 (the 32 bit version) and use
it as my primary desktop, the only thing I've been lacking so far is a
recording solution.

Here's what I'm trying to do, I have a blue snowball USB microphone, as
well as my onboard system. I'm trying to somehow have the onboard system
act as an out while the USB mic is the mic input. this seems to work on
most things but I have a problem when it comes to jack and ardour.

Basically if i try the following with my .asoundrc

	# create a virtual four-channel device with two sound devices:
	# This is in fact two interleaved stereo streams in
	# different memory locations, so JACK will complain that it
	# cannot get mmap-based access. see below.

	pcm.multi {
	        type multi;
	        slaves.a.pcm "hw:0,0";
	        slaves.a.channels 2;
	        slaves.b.pcm "hw:1,0";
	        slaves.b.channels 1;
	        bindings.0.slave a;
	        bindings.0.channel 0;
	        bindings.1.slave a;
	        bindings.1.channel 1;
	        bindings.2.slave b;
	        bindings.2.channel 0;
	}

	# JACK will be unhappy if there is no mixer to talk to, so we set
	# this to card 0. This could be any device but 0 is easy.

	ctl.multi {
	        type hw;
	        card 0;
	}

	# This creates a 4 channel interleaved pcm stream based on
	# the multi device. JACK will work with this one.

	pcm.ttable {
	        type route;
	        slave.pcm "multi";
	        ttable.0.0 1;
	        ttable.1.1 1;
	        ttable.2.2 1;
	}
	# see above.
	ctl.ttable {
	        type hw;
	        card 0;
	}

jack only loads the USB mic, and i have no output.
example---

> dan at zooey:~$ jackd -R -d alsa -d ttable
> jackd 0.100.0
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> creating alsa driver ... ttable|ttable|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Note: audio device ttable doesn't support a 32bit sample format so JACK will try a 24bit format instead
> Note: audio device ttable doesn't support a 24bit sample format so JACK will try a 16bit format instead
> nperiods = 2 for capture
>

> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.041 msecs

anyone who could help, or point me to the correct resource would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.