[ardour-users] WARNING - Super rookie Question

Them idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Thu Feb 9 04:01:52 PST 2006

Brad McIlvaine wrote:

> OK, so I'm WAY new to the Unix thing.
>
> Trying to implement Xjadeo, and I guess ffmpeg as well, which is
> required with Xjadeo.... uh...
>
> So can anyone refer me to some quality reading, book or website, to
> get me started on putting this all together?  I'm no idiot, just far
> removed.
>
> I will also take pointers on getting started, though I feel silly
> asking for pointers if it's stuff I can figure out myself.
>
> Please respond directly to me, off list, as:
>
> A) I don't want to look even sillier than I do now
> B) This is well below the level of conversation that this list
> generally carries.  I don't want to clog inboxes with what to most is
> senseless fodder!
>
> Even if you provide a tip to get started, I would still like to know
> some good reference material that I can read up on so that I stop
> sounding so foolish.
>
> I'm Apple Mac G4 Dual 533, X11, Mac OS 10.4.4

You will need imlib and ffmpeg to build xjadeo. I found some binary
packages for you (for Darwin):

Imlib for OSX: http://imlib.darwinports.com/
ffmpeg for OSX: http://ffmpeg.darwinports.com/

There are instructions on these pages on how to install.

 From there, you just need to untar the xjadeo archive and run the build
(assuming you have gcc and make installed):

tar zxvf xjadeo-0.1.1-3.tar.gz
cd xjadeo-0.1.1
./configure
make
make install (<--- you need to be an admin to install)