[ardour-users] Xjadeo

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:04:19 PST 2006

Dang it forgot to hit Reply-All again...

> If you want to have a simple QT playback utility, get an old OS9
> system (Mac) and use ProTools free and a midi device between the
> rigs... Load the QT Video into ProTools free, lock to the incoming
> MTC, Spot the video on the timeline you want the first frame to start
> (may require some goofing to get correct, but once it's there, it's
> there) and then let it rip.... I'm sure there are other methods as
> well using other software... the Xjadeo thing looks a lot easier,
> though.

Well definitly an option, but seeing as I already have PT on my OSX
machines, I may as well just use that;)  It is just easier.  But Ideally
I would like to have the ability for Xjadeo or another playback window
in Ardour, and if I ever go into heavy multitracking, the ability to
offload it onto a different machine.

> And the idea of a destructive editor integrated in a similar fashion
> to Bias' Peak and Deck sounds interesting, where exporting a selected
> segment of a mono or stereo (or heck, why not 5.1 or 7.1 or 10.2?)
> track opens a destuctive editor is interesting, though I would prefer
> the process stay non-destructive the whole way through.  Having an
> advanced editing winow feels redundant to me.  Why not just aim to do
> this type of editing on the Ardour track?  Opening an editor to work
> with an editor seems a little clunky.

There are certain things that are IMO better done in a single file
editor.  For instance time stretches, sample stretches, and the like.
Or noise reduction(Unless you for whatever reason have enough money to
afford a CEDAR rig, in which case I truly envy you)  DOing these
destructively, preferably to a copy of the file to retain the original,
would be how I would tie it in with ardour.

     Seablade