[ardour-users] Feature Request on the Panner

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Sun Dec 24 13:08:40 PST 2006

Hi all,

I know this is rather a wishlist item, but today is xmas, so I couldn't
resist to follow up...

Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> Allow for the ability to monitor on a different setup than it is being
> panned for.  What this means is I might be doing an 18 channel mix, but
> only have a 5.1 setup to monitor on.

Along the line of this: Make Ardour more Ambisonics-friendly. There
are alredy LADSPA plugins for panning into Ambisonics. And, as you
probably know, Ambisonics is just the concept Thomas outlined in his
message, worked out in a mathematically perfect and systematic way:

You work in an internal representation and decode to your actual
speaker setup. So you can switch speaker layout anytime and don't
have to change anything with your master/recording.

Adour indeed is "almost there". All we need would be: The ability
to have a send with a custom panner plugin (automatable). So you
could set up e.g. a monitor bus and decode your nifty 2rd order
ambisoncs mix (9 chan) to stereo monitors...