[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Dec 18 06:59:20 PST 2006

On 12/18/06, John Emmas <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> I guess that most people are just using Ardour with the standard on-board
> sound hardware (supplied with their motherboards).  But are there any 'high
> end' cards I should be looking at?  For example, multi-channel sound cards -
> or cards that support Dolby 5.1 / 7.1 etc?  In theory, 5.1 is supported by
> my motherboard but I've never figured out where the outputs are..!!  Thanks.

Given the development work that you plan to do with ardour (session
interchange) obviously the sound hardware doesn't matter much.  But if
you want to start using it for real recording, take a look at the
m-audio cards as the others suggested, or the more expensive but
better specified RME HDSP line.

jlc