[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Brett Clark Brett at ciscoinc.com
Mon Dec 18 06:46:03 PST 2006

>> I guess that most people are just using Ardour with the standard on-board
>> sound hardware (supplied with their motherboards)
I wouldnt assume that.  Ive worked on many computers and everyone of
those with an on-board sound card would introduce noise into their signals.
You can check it yourself by turning your volume all the way up and either
access the harddrive or wiggle the mouse.  You'll hear what im talking about.

Myself, i use an M-Audio Delta 1010.  It has 8 analog ins/outs and a MIDI in/out,
so it can support up to a 7.1 configuration.  If you dont need that, i have a friend
who uses the Delta 44 and has excellent results too.  Both only support a max
sample rate of 24/96khz, which works for me but i dont know what your tech
requirements are.

>> 5.1 is supported by
>> my motherboard but I've never figured out where the outputs are
The way these usually work, is the mic & line-ins get reconfigured to be
outputs.  Thats how they get the additional channels.  It should be covered
in your motherboard manual.

--Brett