[ardour-users] Intel EM64T and Ardour+VST

Arnold Krille arnold.krille at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 02:56:59 PDT 2006

2006/8/23, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>:
> On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 03:39 +0200, . wrote:
> > I have a new computer based on a dual core2 Conroe E6700 Intel and i
> intend to
> > install a Gentoo distro.
> > My main usage will be of course running Ardour :)
> > My problem is that i am a quite unaware of the issues regarding 64bit
> support.
> > I would like to run VST when it will be stable for ardour2, and i am
> afraid
> > that wine won't work in 64bit mode.
> wine works fine but you can never load any 32 bit plugins of any kind
> into a 64 bit host. not just VST, not just audio. its why flash doesn't
> work on x86_64, for example.

If he installs gentoo as intended, this wont be a problem. Gentoo has
the 32bit-chroot builtin and flash is working quite well! I didn't
test VST, but everything else concerning ardour and audio runs quite
well...

If you have a 64bit-system: Don't listen to those people telling you
to install only 32bit-software. They are just jealous! :-P

Arnold
--
visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/
---