[ardour-users] FIFO and running as root.

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 09:35:36 PDT 2006

On 4/22/06, Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:

>     I'll probably get shouted down for saying this but I run my audio
> apps as root and see no major problem with doing that.

I don't have a problem with you doing it, Jan, because you
understand the security issues well enough to cope with them.

Personally, I prefer to avoid using root because I'm frequently
connected to the 'net and would rather not think about the
rather complex problems that can arise.

But, I would draw the line at recommending that others run
their audio as root.  Even experienced programmers and audio
users are likely to run into trouble unless they are also experienced
Unix sysadmins.  Don't underestimate the amount of knowledge
you've accumulated over the past 20 years or so.
--
 joq