[ardour-users] Behringer DDX 3216 MIDI control

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Apr 15 11:28:49 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 16:27 +0200, Helge Jung wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a Behringer DDX3216 digital mixing console. I set up MIDI control
> and Ardour 0.99.1 reacts when I move the faders on the DDX but the other
> way around nothing happens (I configured the faders with Ctrl+Button2).
>
> I checked "trace input" and "trace output" in the Options Dialog and I
> see that the input commands come in but Ardour never sends any output
> commands when moving the faders in the mixer window - what am I doing
> wrong, what option did I miss?

in the MIDI tab of the options editor you need to request MIDI feedback.

> Another issue with the "mute" buttons: The DDX sends channel/command 104
> for muting channel 1 and channel/command 105 for unmuting channel 1
> (each time with value=1 regarding to the input-trace). Is there a
> possibility to define different commands for muting and unmuting a
> channel in Ardour?

we do not have predefined interpretations of MIDI commands. you can bind
any MIDI CC command to any mute button, but we assume a single command
is bound to a single toggle button. so the answer is basically no. what
the DDX is doing is apparently to use MIDI msgs to represent button
press/release even when the button has an inherent "hold" functionality.
i think its pretty silly on their part.

> Is one of the above two problems solved in Ardour2 so that it makes
> sense to try out the current cvs version?

control surface support in ardour2 is handled very differently. but
ardour2 is also better is many other ways too.

--p