[ardour-users] experience with soundcard over firewire

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Thu Apr 13 08:07:42 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 10:00 -0500, Christopher Boggs wrote:

> I'm interested in this as well, as there are a lot of small format low end
> mixers and even some mid-end gear that now have Firewire multitrack
> capability, up to 18 tracks at once (24bit 44.1/44.8) like the Phonic Helix,
> and Mackie Onyx...I'm wondering how well if at all this would work for
> multitrack recording with jack/ardour on linux...

For firewire, this is the only hope under linux: http://freebob.sf.net

Some devices work, some don't. The driver is still in beta / alpha
stage. Also, it's not an alsa driver (yet) and as far as I know, you can
only use jackd with it. Take note that only some firewire devices work
with freebob.

USB support is a bit better. But quite dodgy for some devices.

For soundcards supported in general, see the alsa sound card matrix
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>