[ardour-users] Ardour on Mac os X/Mac Intel

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 12:18:42 PDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Marcos Guglielmetti Gmail <marcospcmusica at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hola Mark Knecht:
> > On 4/10/06, grae <drunkenbird at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > But to answer your first question directly, yes, apparently using
> > > the "boot camp" download from apple, on a macintel you can install
> > > windows :( ...... or linux :)
> >
> > grub will allow you to install Linux on a Mac Mini, and even do it on
> > an external 1394 drive so that you do not have to mess with the
> > internal drive. Although I don't use it (yet) I have Gentoo running
> > on my Mac Mini from a 1394 drive partition.
>
> Glad to hear it!
> OK, so you need a firewire HD to do that.

NO - You can do it on the internal drive if you want to.

>         But, the next questions are:
> 1) would you recommend this kind of hardware (Mac mini) to build a PC
> for a recording studio?

No. Not powerful enough and the hard drive isn't all that fast.

> Or would you recommend a clone standard PC with more power?

More likely this is what I'd recommend for runnign Ardour.

> 2) Do you think that RME hammerfall and M-Audio soundcards will run fine
> into a Mac Mini?

No. They are PCI devices. The Mac Mini has no PCI slots. You can only
use external sound cards that use USB or 1394.

Cheers,
Mark