[ardour-users] Audio engine: reality or myth ?/ what about Ardour ?

Jazzride2006 jazzride2006 at laposte.net
Wed Apr 5 03:27:38 PDT 2006

"> Sound playing programs that don't modify the sound data in any way
> (e.g. play sounds straigth from a single .wav file) should sound
> exactly the same.  The same bits go into the sound card, so the same
> sounds come out.
>

> Sound playing programs that do modify the sound data, even just to
> change the volume, just might sound different.
>
> So, assuming by "audio engine" you mean the core portion of software
> that manipulates sound data, I'd think yes, there can be differeneces
> in them.
>
> --> Steve Wahl
"

maybe there's no difference between softs if we don't do nothing but
"play" a wave file. but as soon as we change level etc.. there's
differences. Noticed differences between professionnal (like Ardour) and
low cost budget softwares. (MS2006 and Magix SamPro=differencies, even
with the same tracks etc...) Noticed diffencies with Ardour (probably
better audio soft never had, but when I record music with Ardour, i
can't forget all parts of the system are different: Ardour + jack +
Linux instead of win + "sonar/sam etc" + win drivers etc...)

Or it's only psycho-acoustic... don't know.