[ardour-users] Sends on Mono tracks

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Sun Sep 25 08:59:51 PDT 2005

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Mike Fisher wrote:

> Since I essentially am using one reverb plungin instance for
> all my tracks to share, a problem arises.  The bus has to be
> stereo becuase there are stereo tracks in my sessions, and when
> you pan a mono track away from center a stereo image is
> created.  So what I do for mono tracks is create a send with
> two outputs to direct to my reverb bus.  After I create the
> send, the panning control for my mono track changes.  Instead
> of having the one control I now two (Like on a stereo track).
> And the pan setting I had before is now lost.  The one control
> is hard left and the other hard right.  When I remove the send
> it goes back to normal.

You have found a good buglet here.  Basically the
plugin/insert/send management code does some complicated stuff to
automatically manage the channel counts within a track/bus.
You've found a case that the code overlooks.  Arguably sends
shouldn't affect the number of internal channel streams that
follow it (like plugins or inserts should).  Please enter the
excellent description into a bug in the bug tracking page
(http://ardour.org/mantis).

In the meantime, Mark's workaround idea sounds promising...

jlc