[ardour-users] newbie and 1st Q

Geoff Beasley songshop at bizmedia.com.au
Fri Sep 16 06:31:42 PDT 2005

simply put SIS chipsets are cheap and don't perform up to the specs of
higher quality chipsets. They also have shorter working lives in my
experience.
Quality costs, but not much more ! Look around for boards that sport
NVidia or Via chipsets. They are better. Via had a truck load of woes
with Windoze, but not Linux to my knowledge. Modern Via chips are as
fast and reliable as any other. If someone can prove otherwise I would
be interested to know.

I have 3 Mobo's here all using the SIS 735 chipset and all 3 died after
about 18 months work. I wouldn't have another one for serious audio
work.

my 2c.

cheers.
g.