[ardour-users] Live auditioning? (Pro Tools/Ardour vs. Cubase SX)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 11:49:25 PDT 2005

On 9/13/05, Christophe Combelles <ccomb at free.fr> wrote:
> Mark Knecht a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >    This question is probably directed at other users that do not use
> > an external mixing console.
> >
> >    Does anyone know of a way to get Ardour to monitor live playing
> > while the transport is rolling that does not include using a bus?
>
> Did you try playing with the "Software monitoring" and "Hardware
> monitoring" options (and auto-input as well) ?

Hi Christophe,
   Yes, I'm playing with both now.

1) I've got Hardware monitoring off.

2) With Softweare monitoring off I see guitar audio in the track but I
don't get any audio to the Master fader whether record on the track is
set of not. So software monitoring allows audio to flow through Ardour
when the transport is not moving.

> (You can also hear the input independently from ardour by raising the
> level of "mic input" or "line input" directly in the Gnome|KDE mixer)

I'm using an HDSP9652 so that mixer isn't appropriate for me, but yes,
I can route guitar audio from my hardware input to my monitors in that
mixer if I wanted to, but then when I start recording I still hear two
copies - the direct, hoardware one and the one created through Ardour.

I don't have ANY first hand Cubase SX experience but I have an
associate who uses it exclusively. It seems that they allow something
like the Ardour auditioner to be attached to track inputs or outputs,
if I understand it correctly, but their model understands (I guess)
that when recording starts, if a track is armed for recording then
that path is shut off and you hear the recorded audio.

Again, that's just a guess from some emails a while ago, and I'm not
suggesting Ardour do any of that. I'm just having a tougher time
setting up to compose than I'd like to. That said, it's identical to
Pro Tools in every way as far as I can see so the model must be
acceptable to most people.

Thanks,
Mark