[ardour-users] Live auditioning? (Pro Tools/Ardour vs. Cubase SX)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 11:40:27 PDT 2005

On 9/13/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/05, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 10:47 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >    This question is probably directed at other users that do not use
> > > an external mixing console.
> > >
> > >    Does anyone know of a way to get Ardour to monitor live playing
> > > while the transport is rolling that does not include using a bus?
> > > Here's the situation:
> >
> > the US$64K question is: are you using auto-input? (in the transport bar)
> >
> > --p
>
> Yes, it seems that auto-input was selected by default. However, when I
> turn it off I now see guitar audio on my track but it's not routed to
> my master fader and I no longer hear it.
>
> What's the simple explanation of auto-input's function?
>
> - Mark

Note that the way I'm set up right now the HDSP 9652 doesn't route
input audio in it's hardware mixer. All input audio comes only to
Ardour.

Within Ardour I have

Hardware monitoring == off
Software monitoring == on (is this needed? Not sure what it is exactly)

and I do not automatically hook new tracks to hardware inputs or outputs.

Note that the buttons for the bottom four options on the Misc page
seem to be problematic:

1) Auto-connect new track inputs to hardware is always reset to on
when I save and restart a session. The shape is a red square.

2) The lower 3 options are sort of up or down arrows that change their
lighting as my mouse passes over them. They are different than all the
other option buttons.

Cheers,
Mark