[ardour-users] JACKD problem on Debian KDE system

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Sat Sep 3 04:11:18 PDT 2005

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 05:01:42 +0000
woweepratt at comcast.net wrote:

> Thanks BIGTIME!
>
> I un-checked Realtime adn that enabled me to start qjackctl adn run jack.
>
> Now what? Is the lack of realtime going to make editing and playback miserable?

Well, usually with realtime scheduling support you can use smaller
periodsizes without xruns than without. So it depends on what you need.
Basically every time you need either

a] low latencies

or

b] dropout free operation even with load on your box

you will need realtime scheduling for jack. The simplest way to get it
is to run jackd -R as root. Second simplest variant is getting the
realtime-lsm and install that. I got a small page on the subject:

http://tapas.affenbande.org/?page_id=21

The third variant is using rlimtis, but it will take a while until
distributions modify their pam packages to be able to make use of this.

To get _really_ low latencies you will additionally need a kernel
patched with the realtime preemption patches.

Regards,
Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!