[ardour-users] Ardour needs a forum

Mario Torre mppr_kris at tiscali.it
Thu Sep 1 13:49:49 PDT 2005

Maluvia wrote:
> I think this is an excellent idea, regardless of the cool reception it has received here, and I think there are many people who *would* use it and find it helpful.
> Clearly some people greatly prefer lists, while others are more comfortable with the forum environment - for all of the sundry reasons already enumerated..
> I am of the latter category - I find forums to be generally friendlier and easier to navigate.

Hi!

First of all forgive me for my bad english.

I really don't see the difference. If you keep mails you can use your
mail application to search in messages, every modern application has
advanced filters or searching ability, if you don't keep every mail on
your computer, you can browse them online.

I agree that a forum maybe more user oriented (instead of "developer"
oriented, where developer here mens also advanced users who help
developing or post messages or questions related to ardour
developement), but should be well organized, with specific topics so
that it's not just another mailing list called forum.

My opinion (just my point of view) is that the efforts and time we put
on a new forum, that will end up answering problems that this list
already adrresses, are better used to keep documentation updated, tricks
and tactics about recording with linux and with ardour (there is a lot
of documentation about pro and semi-pro home studio on internet, but
very few about ardour and linux, that shows exactly what to do to build
a good and not necessarily cheap professional studio).

If the forum can be taken as a source of documentation, where, for
example, someone may post papers and howto on a specific topic, where
can be discussed of the feature xy that ardour has but no one knows
about, it's a good thing.

If it ends to be a place where ask how nice it could be to have a button
to mute all the plugins, it's a failure and a waste of time in the first
place, just because this question (and many other like that we see on
the list every day) is a good question and can really help to improve
the usabilyt of this great application, but, I think, belong to this list.

It's just my opinion,

Ciao!
Mario