[ardour-users] bugs / feature requests

Brett W. McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:22:47 PDT 2005

On 10/26/05, moron <moron at industrial.org> wrote:

> "this idea that fiddling with EQ is central to every aspect of using a DAW is
> incorrect"
>
> Fiddling with EQ (and dynamics) sounds like a summary of every single engineer
> interview I have *ever* read in Sound On Sound (for example), every personal
> recording session I have taken part in (five paid for commercial recordings
> plus countless home recording sessions) and definitely every live event I
> have played / been at (of which there have been a lot).
>
> What exactly are you recording that you never need EQ at mixdown?

I think the idea isn't that EQ isn't needed at mixdown, but that
integrated EQ isn't necessary for the DAW... audiophiles have known
this for years and prefer external EQ units rather than using the
limited integrated EQ built into their system's pre-amp. It's much
more flexible... even in my Cakewalk days, I always used a plugin for
EQ, any builtin EQ or compression was never satisfactory or flexible
enough for me.   I do think using the plugins could be easier, but
using automation takes some of the pain away rather than trying to do
it live. I'd like to see real slider widgets on the plugins (and the
pan widgets), the little vertical bars are not the easiest to use with
a mouse -- but at least they aren't GUI knobs!

-- Brett
--
Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.chapelperilous.net