[ardour-users] help understanding routing?

moron moron at industrial.org
Mon Oct 24 21:34:16 PDT 2005

Howdy.  I'm not a total newbie when it comes to using mixers, at least I've
owned a few over the years and have been using hardware any way for a long
time now.  That said, Ardour is making me feel dumb (well, dumber than
usual).

I seem to be ending up with trouble when I attempt to play back while
recording  - basically I have a routing problem where the master channel is
ending up mixed in with the recording inputs when it seems like it should be
deselected.

I'm using an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 so I have 2 analog ins and 2 analog outs
plus the digital mixer on the card.

First, I add some new tracks.  I then select a track, click the input box and
choose "in 1+2" and record a track.

Next, I deselect the input on the track, choose the output box and then assign
it to the master out.  I then choose the second track and select the input to
be in "in 1+2 and " and record a new take.

When I do the above I end up with some of track one bleeding through into
track 2 (same with all tracks after that).

So obviously something is connecting the master out back to audio ins but I am
not clear how to sort that issue out with Ardour (envy24control / Alsa adding
a wack of nonexistant pseudo outs for the card doesn't help either).

Any suggestions here appreciated.

Cheers

--
---> (culture) http://industrial.org : (label)  http://deterrent.net
---> (community) http://ampfea.org : (hire me) http://codegrunt.com
---> (send EEEI news to) infosuck at industrial.org
---> Whomever dies with the most URLs wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!