[ardour-users] [newbie] hello and call for assistance

moron moron at industrial.org
Mon Oct 24 09:10:41 PDT 2005

Howdy.  New to the list and new to ardour though I have had my eye on for
quite a while now, just did not have an interface Jack liked until recently.

I 've managed to get Jackd running realtime and so far I have been able to
record and playback stuff (started no less than four noise / ambient peices
yesterday).  Being able to record multi-track on my Linux box is pure candy.

Anyway. . .problems. . .

The main problem I am having right is one that could be Jack, could be Ardour,
could be both though I am leaning towards Ardour.

First, here's my version:

Ardour/GTK 0.99
   (built using 0.604.3 with libardour 0.901.2 and GCC version 3.3.6 (Gentoo
3.3.6, ssp-3.3.6-1.0, pie-8.7.8))

jackd version 0.99.0 tmpdir /var/run/jack protocol 13

I am having troubles reliably getting into an Ardour session.  Once in, things
are mostly pretty stable but getting to that point takes anywhere from 2 to 8
or so tries usually.

Here's the process. . .

Start Jackd with qjackctl
start ardour (ardour loads with an empty session)
go to session menu, enter in details
as soon as I hit "create", ardour crashes and jackd crashes

restart jackd
start ardour
browse to session
ardour crashes and takes Jackd with it (or vice versa)

What I have found is that if I start ardour from the command line with the
newly created session name it usually does not crash upon start up.

This does bring up a feature request. . .

Since ardour can reconnect to jack, why does it require jackd is started
before you can run the program?  So here's a feature request for making the
presence of jackd optional upon startup (give me  warning if you must but
don't stop start up, let me decide what run first).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

--
---> (culture) http://industrial.org : (label)  http://deterrent.net
---> (community) http://ampfea.org : (hire me) http://codegrunt.com
---> (send EEEI news to) infosuck at industrial.org
---> Whomever dies with the most URLs wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!