[ardour-users] how to install latest ardour

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 20 04:16:58 PDT 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 03:26, AA wrote:
> Hello all, I am using a stock copy of Demudi 1.2.1 and
> I am going crazy trying to get ardour installed...and
> I havent even gotten to the part where I get to try
> and install ardour.  I am going through the
> requirements as found here:
> http://www.ardour.org/building.php
> and it seems that this distro neither has any of these
> required libraries nor does it have the ability to get
> them.

That seems unlikely. What is probably missing is the dev packages.
You can check for the liberaries by looking at the content of /usr/lib.
You should find libgtk-1.2.so.0, libglib-1.2.so.0 etc, or something similar.
What you need to find are the "devel" packages . They could be in the demudi
repository but they are definitely in the main(stable) debian release.

I am not sure which of the other required libraries are present in
debian/demudi at the moment, you may have to compile some of those from
source.

If you are installing from source, make sure that you either install
in /usr/lib (the default is usually /usr/local/lib) or make
sure /usr/local/lib is included in your /etc/ld.so.conf. This sets the path
where the linker looks for libraries. After install you may have to do run
ldconfig to make your system aware of the presence of the new library.

I hope this helps a little bit. If you're are new to compiling software from
source, ardour is not exactly the easiest introduction. But if you manage it,
you will have learned a lot about linux.

cheers

Gerard