[ardour-users] Any advise changes I should make to this system?

Tue Oct 18 11:28:09 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 16:52 +1000, Andrew Johnston wrote:

> On 10/18/05, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
>         > Software: Fedora Core 3 with CCRMA setup/low latency etc
>         etc.
>         > I am using fedora as at that is what I know best.  I use FC4
>         > currently but I know it is not stable enough to run ardour
>         > properly...is FC3 okay?  I read that I should be using the
>         2.4
>         > Kernel for best stability.  So is it cool to downgrade the
>         FC3
>         > kernel to 2.4? or should I get FC2?
>
>         FC4 should be stable, or at least as stable as FC3. Planet
>         CCRMA has
>         been almost completely rebuilt on FC4 for a while, should be
>         fine. I
>         don't think you could install 2.4.x on FC3/4, there are
>         probably too
>         many small incompatibilities with userland stuff. Early on I
>         tried it
>         and did not work very well.
>
> The FC4 release I tried had a very buggy kernel (2.11 something) so I
> had downloaded (and still use) the 2.6.12-0.12.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma kernel
> that was made when FC4 came out and according to my system it doesn't
> have the low latency patch included... so I figured it must have been
> stability issues with FC4.  Glad to hear that the repo has been
> rebuilt for FC4, I will download all the latest stuff and see how I
> go.

I think the latest kernel is 2.6.13-0.3.rdt which is pretty good. I'm
working on getting a new version out and I'm having some success with
the latest patches coming from Ingo. Of course if FC3 is working fine
for you don't migrate :-)

-- Fernando