[ardour-users] problem with connection to midi controller

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Mon Oct 17 04:04:38 PDT 2005

> Joe Hartley wrote:
> > I often find that when I first start Ardour, then go into qjackctl's MIDI tab, the Behringer
> > isn't listed until I do a power-cycle of the BCF.  Once I do that, I can see it and make the
> > connections.
> >

> thank you for pointing out this workaround!
> Indeed, if I power-on the BCF2000 /after/ launching Ardour, I can make the connections.
>
> For me this looks like Ardour (or maybe jack?) tries to (re)establish some midi connections,
> but without success and thus blocks the 1st input port on the BCF2000.
>
> Whould this be a possible explanation? Any idea why such a thing might happen?

I think it has more to do with qjackctl not polling for the MIDI port
correctly.  Jack doesn't do anything with MIDI, it's just a convenience
that qjackctl has a way of patching Jack client MIDI ports to the devices.

That said, I haven't checked to see whether lsusb lists the BCF before I
start qjackctl when it misses the device.  It may be that something is not
polling the USB in a timely fashion, and that it needs the power cycle to
see it.  While an annoyance, at least it isn't a showstopper.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com