[ardour-users] Saving, Snapshots & Saved State

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Fri Oct 14 23:35:21 PDT 2005

On 13 October 2005 at 23:19, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> I was playing around with beta30 tonight, and I noticed a few things
> that seem odd to me.
> - "save" doesn't save, and the songname.ardour file doesn't update
>   its timestamp.
> - "snapshot" does snapshot, and the date-time-stamp.ardour file is
>   created with the right timestamp.
> I copied one of the snapshot files over the songname.ardour file and
> loaded that session with ardour, getting what I expected.
>
> When opening a recent snapshot some of the state of ardour isn't
> restored, specificly:
> - A previously open locations window isn't opened when opening the session.
> - A previously open mixer window isn't opened when opening the session.
>   After manually opening the mixer window the metering selection
>   (input, pre, post) reverts to post when I had it set to input when
>   I made the snapshot.  Likewise, the mixer window width isn't saved.
>
> The song in question was initially created by something prior
> to beta26, maybe beta25.  I've seen a few cases when upgrading
> from one beta version to the next where I've had to remove my
> ~/.ardour/ardour.rc I think I need to try a completely new
> song, one created by my current beta30 version, and see if I
> get the same behavior.  Has anyone seen anything like what I'm
> experiencing?

I solved my trouble by starting over with a fresh slate and
beta30.  A quick check confirmed that _ALL_ of what I mentioned
above as behaving strangely works just fine now.  A previously
opened mixer window doesn't open automaticly when reopening the
session, but when the mixer window is opened manually it has
all the attributes that it had when saved.  After confirming
that, I went back and created my template again, then created
the song in question from the new template.  As a side benefit
of this exercise I followed up on the recent advice I got here
about a work-around to get pre-roll by sliding (snap to bars) my
reference tracks later in the song.

I dug a bit deeper into what version of ardour might have created
the song in the first place.  It was created with something
between beta10 and beta25, inclusive, although I can't say for
certain the exact version.

Cheers....

--
Kevin