[ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Thu Oct 13 14:37:46 PDT 2005

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 08:43 -0400, Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>After the Linux distros started moving to gcc4 is obvious that many old
>>applications will not compile. Unfortunately one of those applications
>>is Wine 20040505, the only version you can use for Jack_fst. I don't
>>know what is the satus of the project but I really hope is not dead and
>>that we see an upgrade. I keep finding a big demand for using VST
>>plugins in Linux so there should be another reason why this kind of
>>tools are not being developed. Is it a legal one? I'm just curious. I
>>know that LADSPA plugins are becoming very good substitutes but there
>>are some really good VST instruments that I hardly see being ported to
>>LADSPA (e.g. Synful Orchestra). I tried to make jack_fst work using a
>>patch found in the wine-list
>>http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-users/2004/10/0451.html but it
>>didn't work for me. I just hope that the developers keep the good work
>>and help the linux-audio community... or maybe I should learn C and
>>start working on it :-)
>

> just ignore it for now unless you want to get deeply into it. eventually
> some combination of torben and myself will get it working again with any
> wine distro. it will take a *lot* more than just learning C, believe me.
>
> the key thing to keep in mind is that the basic idea behind jack_fst
> (using wine as a library) turns out to have been a bad one.
>
> until one of us has the time or interest, its not going to happen. but i
> do want to do this for ardour, so my motivation is there.

although jack_fst is needed for vst integration in ardour, it really
doesn't cause too many dramas by using an external solution such as
dssi-vst. you can even use jack_fst with a later version of wine (i
think the most recent i tested it with was 20041201 ... it doesn't work
with the most recent versions, though, killing the xserver and logging
you out), but as is mentioned, the only version of wine that will give
you ardour vst-integration is wine20040505.

dssi-vst will work with even the most recent version of wine (which is
what i'm using), so long as you edit the Makefile (?) to add the -f
option to --exe (or something like that ... dave phillips, i think, has
written a post detailing what to do somewhere).  the best way to use
vst's with dssi, imho, is om_gtk ... used in combination with lash, you
can save your sessions, too.

was wondering also - with midi going to be introduced into ardour at
some point in the future, perhaps it would be an idea to add dssi
support? apart from allowing users to have vst integration on top of the
latest wine versions, dssi now has a pretty amazing array of soft-synths
and instruments (smack, sineshaper, hexter, xsynth etc) that would be
all in place to use once midi comes to ardour (i know this is probly a
long way off, but may as well start shooting off ideas now).

shayne