[ardour-users] Re: Pre-Roll?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 19:11:50 PDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> > Sorry to be patheticly dense, but I still don't know how to get
> > pre-roll in Ardour.  Could anyone please give me the remedial
> > version?
>
> based on my understanding of your definition, you can't. if a region
> starts only 2 beats into the timeline, there is no way whatsoever to get
> more than 2 beats of preroll. my understanding is that you do want more
> than that.
>
> you can move all regions along the timeline at once, if that would help.
>
> --p

So that answers my question. Pro Tools had a switch on their transport
that allowed a two beat count off before the playhead started moving.
I think Kevin was looking for something like that, with the possible
enhancement of telling Ardour to count 4 or 6 bars before moving the
playhead.

I didn't know how to do it.

What about loop recording and count down? I honestly haven't done any
loop recording in Ardour but I presume there's no special features for
when and how Ardour starts loop recordings? For instance I want to
record from bar 16 to bar 24 but I need to hear bars 14 & 15 before I
play at 16. Anyway to do that an not record from 14-16?

Thanks,
Mark