[ardour-users] Top Level Mode - GTK2 UI

Christophe Combelles ccomb at free.fr
Tue Oct 4 07:54:30 PDT 2005

Paul Davis wrote:

> http://ardour.org/ardour-gtk2-final.png

This is not a question, not a criticism, just a personal opinion.

What I like in the GTK 1 version, is the black design with square
buttons, and everything that make it look like a (legacy?)
professional hardware console. The editor and mixer windows are very
efficient and powerful. Screenshots of GTK1 Ardour are always
impressive for someone that discover it.

What I dislike is just the non-ergonomic dialog boxes (file open,
options, new session, etc.), and a few UI details.

I was thinking that the GTK 2 version would just keep the same kind of
look, but would just fix all the problems inherent to GTK1, and bring
ergonomic dialog boxes. It seems this is not the case and the new UI
is very different, and it will look like a mix of a standard GTK
application and a "classical modern-looking" pixmap-based UI.

I'm in the middle of thinking this is both a good and a bad thing.

The first drawback I see, is that ardour will be less distinctive than
before.

But maybe it will be themeable? (apart from gtk themes)

Christophe